Wednesday, March 08, 2006

2 Dates in 2 Weekends!


Though I'm posting this a little late, I thought I'd share the fact that Richard and I got to go on yet another date this past weekend! My good friend, Tanya (also Jillian's Godmother), had driven up from Austin because she had an Austin College Alumni board meeting. She figured she'd be in the area, so it would be a great time to see all of us. So she got here on Friday afternoon, and after a day of hanging out and going to the mall (me, Tanya, and Jillian), Richard and I went on a date while Tanya stayed at the house to take care of Jillian. We sorta did the same thing as the last date - fed Jillian and put her to bed...leaving Tanya to relax (she needs to - the woman NEVER slows down!).

So we went to Eddie P's for dinner - very yummy! And then went to go see a movie...something Richard is always wanting to do, but that I usually don't want to go and do (that was before having a baby...now I'm more than happy to go to a movie). So we went to see Brokeback Mountain (and right before the Oscars, too!). I was really excited to see it - it had gotten amazing reviews, and I heard it was an amazing love story. Plus, Richard was surprisingly okay with going to see it (that's one of the many things I love about him - a tolerant, non-judgemental person - I really admire and respect that about him).

However, since we haven't been to a movie in so long, we forgot how expensive it really is! We knew it was expensive, but $8.50 for a ticket?! That's crazy! And I wanted M&M's - $3.25!!!! That's even crazier! I usually think ahead and bring my own food supply, but unfortunately, I forgot this time - never again.

Anyway, the movie was amazing. The first thing I noticed about it was that it was probably the most beautiful movie I have ever seen - the rolling hills and mountains, sheep, and even the clouds in the sky (it should've won Best Cinematography). I will admit that the first "intimate" scene was a bit uncomfortable to watch, but I think everything after that was "less intense," so as far as all that goes, it was pretty okay. The movie was extremely easy and peaceful to watch, I think mainly because of the scenery and the simple (Oscar winning) music (no, not the "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" song...Brokeback got Best Original Score, I believe).

So I know there are a lot of people out there that are completely and totally opposed to this movie, but I am not ashamed to say that it was an excellent movie, that is very deserving of all the accolades, raving reviews, and award nominations. It's so much more than a movie about "a couple of gay cowboys." It is a thought provoking love story that has a wonderful message. I highly recommend it! Richard said that he liked it as well - I'm glad we got to see a movie that I believe, is somewhat culturally relevant and important.

Anyway, that was our date! We came home and Tanya said that Jillian had been sleeping soundly the whole time - not a peep! This is not a surprise, but it was good to know that all was well while we were gone.

No comments: